Sunday, May 9, 2010

Samburu People

I have decided that the people of Samburu deserve my attention too, not just the animals, so I have decided to educate all you lovely readers on the Samburu tribe.
Samburu is a word meaning butterfly, and these people demonstrate the name as well as a butterfly could itself. They love bright clothing, even the men, and you will see many pinks, blues, reds, and oranges worn. Also, these lovely people are the nicest people you will ever meet, even with the language barrier, and I think it has a lot to do with the isolation from urbanization. The Samburu people have not been poisoned by the greed, or other problems that highly urbanized areas have. The love visitors, take care of their family and friends like it is their only purpose in the world, and work so hard that I do not believe there is one fat Samburu villager out there. The live in circular villages surrounded by acacia thorn gates to protect them from wild animals and live in small adobe huts. Their livestock, goats, donkeys, and cattle, also live in the circular village with them because the animals are extremely important to their way of life. The Samburu people also love to sing, and I think they enjoyed dancing with us and singing with us because Erin and I were so thoroughly confused a lot of the time. Serenoy, our multi-lingual, talented, guide told us that the Samburu and Somalis are sworn enemies and many of the songs that we were struggling through were about how many Somalis they had killed (don't worry, they are actually a very peaceful people and the songs are quite ancient). Their diets consist mostly of meat, blood, and milk and for the guys who worked at Oria's camp, the change in diet and the addition of vegetables and fruit was quite confusing. To explain to you how great these people are I shall explain the one horrible day of the trip. About half way through, I caught a bug or something that knocked me literally off my feet. I had a 104 temperature and couldn't move without vomiting. The whole day the Samburu people sent down little homemade remedies, cleaned up my vomit, brought me drinks, and wetted washclothes to keep my temperature. The most amazing thing is that they did this without having to be asked. Oria told them that she would take care of me and Erin, but the consistently went out of their way to help me. I feel a kind of affection for these people and I think that is what you get when you spend a week in the bush, 100 miles away from the nearest populated town.
This only scratches the surface of the Samburu people, so if anyone has questions, just ask!

Hakuna Matata=D

No comments:

Post a Comment